A blanket is like a fire extinguisher we hope we do not need to use it. We have it ready and learn how to use it before the emergency hits. Please be prepared. Please train your donkey to accept the blanket before the emergency hits. I never blanket unless an emergency or the donkey is suffering cant move due to arthritis and age. As soon as the weather gets out of extreme cold the blanket is off. Or the vet says the stall rest is over etc., No blanket is waterproof. Never keep a wet blanket on any equine. We must use common sense. Warm water in the winter (clean) helps donkeys drink more and lose free salt.
Select Is It Natural To Blanket?
How Do We Know When To Blanket?
My Thoughts and Ideas:
If you see your donkey, horse, or mule shaking/shivering, by all means, get a blanket on them something is not right they need help.
*Donkey has diarrhea without a diet change.
* Any equine who is sick just had surgery needs a blanket on until they are well again.
* Anytime we move into the twenties I blanket at night and I check the blanket every day, remove it for a few hours if it warms up during the day giving them a chance to roll.
* Just like people older equine get arthritis and need a bit of help a blanket will help.
* Babys born in the winter need a blanket.
* Donkeys, horses, and mules enjoy warm water so look into a heated water system just make sure they cant bite the cord.
* A little extra hay helps keep them warm. Use a slow feeder, we use the Hay Pillow for all of our donkeys and horses.
*Windchill, pay attention to the true weather forecast.
* Shelter is a must for all equine, donkeys that stand in the damp cold and have no shelter can get really sick.
* Remember blanketing when it is too warm is not good either as they can over heat 🙂 Talk to your vet about blanketing before old man winter comes to your farm. Never leave a wet blanket on your equine. Change out the blanket with a dry blanket until the weather is above freezing or your donkey is healthy again.
Please Make Sure Your Blankets Fit before the weather is too dangerous to get stuff shipped or drive to pick up. Training donkeys to wear a blanket should be done before old man winter hits when possible. Donkey 102 covers blanketing.
GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged!