ORDER Miniature Donkey Blanket from the Donkey Whisperer Farm ®
A blanket is like a fire extinguisher we hope we do not need to use it. We have it ready and learn how to use it before the emergency hits. Please be prepared. Please train your donkey to accept the blanket before the emergency hits. I blanket senior donkeys (ten or older) as donkeys cannot regulate the cold as they age. When the weather drops into the 20’s and lower the blankets are put on and removed when the weather returns above freezing. What happens if we do not take care of our senior donkey in the winter? Laminitis, colic and death as donkeys are stoic. Donkeys will never show us pain until in most cases it is too late. Please plan ahead for your donkey.
I do not blanket my donkeys during the rain. I provide shelter for my donkeys. Add all meals inside the shelter, water and salt. Donkeys can fear the shelter placing food and water, salt in the shelter helps the donkey trust the shelter. Make sure you do not have a donkey bully kicking your donkey out of the shelter. If this is the case you may need to build another shelter.
What are the signs a donkey needs a blanket?
Shaking, blowing diarrhea standing frozen and not moving with a glazed dull look in the eyes. Donkeys can get frost bite so pay attention to the wind chill along with the weather. Provide shelter, warm clean water, lose salt with minerals and a slow feeder to help keep the donkey warm. In high winds you may have to lock your donkey(s) in for a few hours. Never keep a wet blanket on any equine, check for rubs on your donkey daily. I recommend two blankets for each donkey ready to go as no blanket can last the entire season and stay waterproof.
How to help our donkeys in the winter:
* Donkeys, horses, and mules drink more water when its warm and clean in the winter heated bucket, hide the cord or bring warm clean water within 2 hours of feeding at least three times a day during freezing temperatures.
* A little extra hay helps keep them warm. Use a slow feeder, we use the Hay Pillow for all of our donkeys and horses.
*Windchill, pay attention to the true weather forecast.
- Provide lose free salt with minerals. Watch my Youtube video
* Shelter is a must for all equine, donkeys that stand in the damp cold and have no shelter can get really sick.
* Remember blanketing when it is too warm is not good either as they can over heat 🙂
GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged!