We have been working really hard to finish our home. Mr. Rocket Man age 24 one of our mini donkeys refused to eat his vitamin until he had his love. Donkeys are not stubborn. Donkeys are smart. Donkeys are emotional and analytical at the same time.
Here are some dangerous myths regarding hoof abscess treatment:
1. Soak the abscessed foot in bleach
2. Soak the abscessed foot in Lysol
3. Soak the abscessed foot in Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Place Tea Tree Oil on the abscessed area of the foot
5. Use an anti fungal cream on the abscessed foot
6. Walk your donkey until the abscess blows
7. Dig out the abscessed area with a pocket knife
8. Pack the hoof with Pine Tar and Turpentine
9. Ignore it, it will go away!
A hoof abscess is not a routine health issue! A donkey hoof is living breathing tissue with blood infused laminae. An abscess is a localized, internal infection, creating a pocket that is walled off within the hoof. This infection builds filling the pocket with blood, pus and fluid creating unbearable pressure in the hoof. Hoof abscesses are not external, they are internal. They are not only debilitating, but can be life-threatening!!!
Please, please don’t employ any of the mythical formulas above. Please learn how to respond to a donkey hoof abscess! Go to: Health Care Series