Melody, I have a donkey that refuses to go into the shelter and stands outside he stands out in the rain nonstop. I am worried about my donkey. I am thinking I should lock my donkeys in the shelter during the rain, Should I give him a blanket? Trixy, BC
“Please do not lock your donkeys in the shelter or put a blanket on a donkey during the rain if your donkey is healthy and not shivering or sick as no blanket is 100% waterproof. A blanket is like a fire extinguisher we use it in an emergency”. Just because we are cold does not mean our donkey is cold. If your donkey is shivering, make sure you have followed my advice below and your donkey will go into the shelter. He may choose to stand right outside the shelter in the wind and rain but believe me eventually he will go into the shelter during heavy rain.
How Can I Help My Donkey Trust the Shelter?
- Feed all meals, salt, and clean water in the shelter. Some donkeys fear the shelter. Keep the shelter clean and inviting.
- Make sure your shelter is big enough for the number of donkeys you own. You may have to build another shelter if you have too many donkeys trying to use it.
- Watch to see if you have a lead donkey kicking this donkey out and making the donkey stand outside.
- Donkeys are intelligent they will learn to hang out in the shelter if you have addressed all areas above.
- Place video cameras outside your shelter and inside so you can see 24 hours a day how often your donkey is entering the shelter.
GOD bless you and your family two and four-legged!
Melody Johnson, Trainer/Owner
Donkey Whisperer Farm ®